Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chemo Education

I went to Dr. Mengs office today for my Chemo Education.  What is Chemo education?  Basically, it's having an highly skilled person sit across the room, and tell you everything you have already researched on the internet.  Words the PA was discribing, I already knew.  Like Nadir, for instance.  That's the period of time that your white blood count is at it's lowest, and you have to be careful about being around anyone who is sick. I have never been one to stay down very long, so this is really going to be a challange.  Just knowing I may be house bound for more than a day is unconceivable. We discussed medication I will have to take before each treatment, blood draws, shots and of course the lovely side effects. If loosing your hair isn't bad enough, how about fluid retention, weight gain? ugh!   On a positive note, they were able to acces my port today for a blood draw, ( a little unnerving) no more needle sticks in my batterd arm!! She did say scar tissue is forming on my neck, and that's what is causing the pain when I lean my head backwards.  It's all a part of the process and I  have to keep reminding myself, this isn't forever, and this too shall pass. I'll let you know how Thursday goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment