Thursday, April 7, 2011

Chemo bound!

If there is one word that I have spent a great deal of time researching lately, it's ONCOTYPE DX.  I knew when Dr. Quiet (radiation oncologist) wanted me to see Dr. Meng (medication oncologist) that probably meant the possibility of chemo.  However, I went into that appointment thinking my number was a 15, when the results were placed in my hand, thanks to my reasearh, I knew that the number 25  I recieved, would guarentee my spot on the recliner!!!  I wasn't quite prepared for the news mentally.  I know it has to be down to reduce the reaccurance rate, but is any women happy about loosing her hair?  I have been growing it out for the past 3 years and it now reaches the middle of my back!  It truly is as thick as a horses mane! lol lol  Not only that, but I have the habit of twirling my hair, which I have done since birth.  How do I break that habit now?  I don't think twirling a wig will have the same calming effect.  I plan on shopping for a wig next week before chemo even begins.  That way I can hopefully have something that resembles my own style.  Or think about this, I could do a different hairstyle everday.  Blonde, brunette, red head, long, short or in between!  The choices are endless,  and nothing to shampoo, curl, or flat iron.  I knew if I wrote long enough, I would fine a silver linning somewhere.  I think I found it!!!  Love to all.

3 comments:

  1. Marie:
    I know we really don't know each other but I can understand to a point what you are going through. I had a borderline malignant phyllodes tumor removed on Dec 21, 2010. It was the size of a golf ball but with the tissue they removed it ended up being the size of a baseball. I was told by my surgeon that he feels confident they got it all. That hasn't been very assuring to me, but I just have to trust that he knows what he is talking about. I am so sorry you are having to go through this and to have to have two surgeries and now the chemo and radiation. We will be continuing to keep you in our prayers. From the picture it looks like you have some beautiful hair, just a thought you could have your hair cut for locks of love and donate it to have a wig made for a child with cancer. My daughter did that once. Since you have cancer if you cut off your hair and donate it, it would be helping someone else who is going through the same thing you are.

    Take care of yourself and now that I found your blog I will be able to keep up with your progress. You are in our prayers. Love in Christ, Theresa Bushey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie,
    I know that I have only known you a short time, but the impact that you and your incredible family has had on me will last forever. You are such a kind and optimistic person... I am a better person for knowing you. I know that you are worried about losing your hair, but I think you will be beautiful even without any! Thank you for sharing your incredible story with me, I will be here, following you through your fight. If you ever need ANYTHING, please don't hesitate to let me know. Stay strong, you are in my prayers.
    Your favorite Sunday Server,
    Wendi Schlink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, You will look hot no matter what hair color or length or even the lack thereof you have. I love you ..and not becuase of your hair but because your and awesome person an amazing mother and an even better friend :)remember that

    <3 Ash~Way :)

    ReplyDelete